Following the announcement in October 2021 that the next edition of the European Athletics Team Championships would be part the European Games 2023, a change in format to the competition has been agreed by the European Athletics Council.
The European Athletics Team Championships will now consist of three divisions, whereas formerly it was four leagues.
The Championships take place on consecutive days between 20-25 June 2023 at the Slaski Stadium in the Region of Silesia, which was also the venue for the 2021 European Athletics Team Championships Super League.
The 1st Division will consist of 16 teams, the 2nd Division will also have 16 teams, and the 3rd Division will be made up of the remaining teams entered from European Athletics’ Member Federations.
In order to enhance the TV and spectator engagement in the Championships and maximise the promotional opportunities across the entire continent and beyond, all the divisions will be take place during the European Games 2023 and over six days at the same venue.
- Day 1 to Day 3 (20-22 June 2023): 3rd Division will take place in the morning sessions and the 2nd Division in the evening sessions.
- Day 4 to Day 6 (23-25 June 2023): 1st Division will take place in the evening sessions.
The European Athletics Team Championships groupings for 2023 are as follows:
- 1st Division: Poland, Italy , Great Britain & NI, Germany , Spain, France, Portugal, Czech Republic, Belarus*, Netherlands, Switzerland, Türkiye, Finland, Sweden, Greece and Belgium.
- 2nd Division: Norway, Romania, Estonia, Hungary, Denmark, Slovenia, Lithuania, Bulgaria, Slovakia, Latvia, Croatia, Iceland, Serbia, Cyprus, Republic of Moldova and Ukraine.
- 3rd Division: Luxembourg, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Malta, Montenegro, Georgia, Armenia, Andorra, Republic of North Macedonia, San Marino, Albania, AASSE (Athletic Association of Small States of Europe), Azerbaijan, Kosovo, Austria, Ireland, Israel and the Russian Federastion*.
The distribution and listed order of teams was based on the results of the European Athletics Team Championships 2021.
* Participation of Belarus and the Russian Federation is subject to the lifting of the current sanctions.